Want to make your own version of The Great Serpent of Ronka!? Download + print the template files and follow the instructions below. It’s a very simple plush to make but please comment if something in unclear and I’ll do my best to improve the instructions. I’ve aimed it towards super beginners so if you’ve made a soft toy before you can probably disregard most of it!
You will need:
- Minky or fleece:
- Orange (I used Shannon Plush – Mango)
- Brown/Tan (I used Shannon Plush – Taupe [NOT Camel as was previously posted]. Cappuccino is very similar)
- A small amount of pink (I used Shannon Plush – Coral)
- Self adhesive white felt for teeth (or normal fleece/felt, fabric glue, and a steady hand)
- 1 pair of black plastic safety eyes – 10mm
- Polyfibre stuffing. Old pillowcase stuffing will do if you don’t have this already.
- Sewing needle, beige thread, ideally pins to keep everything in place while you sew
1. Cut out your fabric pieces. Line on the template is the sewing line, so leave a 10mm seam around all pieces. The shapes for the sides all look very similar so label them if needed.
2. Sew together the side and front stripes, so you now have three big body pieces
3. Cut your mouth hole and sew in the pink mouth
4. Now sew all three pieces together. I started at the top – attached both sides to the front, then sewed up the back. Remember to leave a small gap somewhere inconspicuous so you can turn the fabric
One of the trickiest bits is to get all the stripes lined up when it’s done. You have more control over this if you’re hand sewing. Whether you’re hand or machine sewing, pin the pieces together first carefully matching up the stripes.
5. Position the eyes, cut two very small holes and push through.
6. Stuff that chonk. Really stuff him – as much as you can get in. Use something long like a paintbrush handle to push it all the way in. If he’s lumpy there’s still room for more stuffing.
7. Sew up the hole so the body is complete. Sew, stuff and attach tail. Add sticky teeth.